Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sales, Learning, and the Power of Free. It's a Stella Rose Progress Report!

Hey everybody,

So, I've been doing this for five weeks and I thought I'd give you all a progress report.

By the numbers:

January books published ~ 7*
January Books sold (USA only) ~ 43
January Profit (USA only) ~ $83.04
Most popular series ~ Taken to the Edge

Okay, so not a bad start but not the best start in the world either.

What I want to talk about is the power of free.


Four of the books I put out in January were in the Taken to the Edge series, each one was a sexy short following the same tempestuous couple from meet cute to Naughtily Ever After. I priced the first one Taken by the Hero at $1.99 (since dropped to $0.99) and the rest at $2.99 (the min. needed for 70% royalty on Amazon). At the end of the month, I bundled all four books into a single volume titled Taken to the Edge which I priced at $4.99.

I then offered Taken by the Hero as free through Kindle KDP Select for three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday).

I advertised only in Facebook groups, but I seemed to gain some momentum sometime on Friday morning. Taken by the Hero was #1 on Amazon's Free Erotica list for most of the weekend.

Which is when people started buying the other books...

February--Week 1--books published ~ 1
February-- Week 1--books sold (USA only) ~ 52
February-- Week 1-- profit (USA only) ~ $149.80

So, in one week I sold as many books as in my first month and I almost doubled my profits. Huzzah!

What have I learned? Free works for me (at least right now)!

Check back in next month for another progress report and some more thoughts on sales and marketing!

Stella Rose




* I actually put out 8 then clawed back 1 because I decided it didn't match the brand I was trying to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment